Thursday, March 14, 2013

Return of the Lorax


Lily's school put on a wonderful musical program, The Return of the Lorax.  Since this is my blog, I could paint this event any way I want, but in general, I try to be honest and put it out there so.....I am not going to lie.  I cried through the entire thing.  It started as watery eyes that you could probably blame on a fellow audience member's perfume.  It quickly progressed to "man, my allergies are really acting up".  And soon there was no denying that I was headed straight for what Oprah would call "the ugly cry".  This is not the first time that I have been overcome by emotion at a public event (and certainly will not be the last).  The last time that I felt this kind of overwhelming emotion was at Carl's match ceremony.  Since Lily's school put on two performances of this musical, Carl and I agreed to take turns going so that Lily would have someone there for her at each performance.  This meant that I was all by lonesome as I'm sobbing for no apparent reason while other parents are casually chatting about their day in between songs.  I try to give myself mini-pep talks to avoid these emotional public displays but always to no avail.  Seeing Lily on stage as an elementary student was just....well, I tear up just thinking about it.  As you can see above, Lily takes pity on me by giving me the knowing glance.  She gets it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tori said...

Love! I laugh now, but trust me, this will totally and 100% be me. I got teary eyed when I saw Sophia go off the high dive for the first time, a school play is going to just throw me, full speed, over the edge.

Congrats to your little star!!! :)

Carolyn Zook said...

Ha! Oh my gosh - you and Tori - too sweet, too funny!!