Thursday, January 19, 2012

Snow days

The snow came last week, but thankfully we didn't have any days off school yet. Maybe some lessons were learned from last year's knee-jerk reaction to close schools at the mere hint of impending snowfall? The picture above shows the kids in some post-school play. Every time I bundle up the kids (especially like William), I can't help but think of the younger brother in the movie A Christmas Story. "Oh, well. You'll put your arms down when you get to school." Love that movie.

Lily working on some snow art

No, we don't have an extremely talented dog. This is colored water.

Most people can just go outside and play in the snow. I am not one of those people. I have to have something to do, some sort of game or activity to distract me from the fact that I am freezing my buns off in the cold snow when I'd much rather be inside wrapped in a warm blanket, drinking hot cocoa and sitting by a toasty fire. So my kids are subjected to my outdoor activities. Above, you can see the colored ice "eggs" I made for a wintertime egg hunt.

Lily collected her ice eggs in this "basket". William whole-heartedly supported Lily collecting the eggs and putting them in the basket.
The videos below show the kids making one of their bird feeders after we collected the pine cones and sticks from the yard. The videos do not show it, but Carl and I were both surprised when William called his pine cone an ice cream cone, just as Lily did 4 years ago at his exact age.


4 comments:

Aunt Angela said...

Oh my goodness. It was crazy watching the video of Lily. Please make me do this for my children. What a wonderful way to hold onto memories.

Kellys said...

Ice eggs sound awfully dangerous. I can only imagine my boys throwing them at each other.

Kellys said...

P.S. And you say William doesn't eat!

Kathleen said...

Angela - You should start your blog now, just to get into the habit. Molly, I knew someone (aka you) would catch William eating in this video. Rest assured when I have put peanut butter on a cracker or on bread, it was an absolute refusal. We ran out of pb that day, but I'm going to try to give it to him straight up again to see if we can repeat this.