Friday, August 19, 2011

Whew!


We've had quite the transitional week in the Deetz household. Besides Lily starting the big K, she also lost her second tooth Wednesday night. On that same day, the spring on our garage door opener broke, and William flushed his toothbrush down the toilet. The garage is a minor repair that the repairman temporarily fixed yesterday and will permanently fix next week. The toilet may not be so minor; we will find out later today. Last night our tv, internet, and phone went out (all services are through the same company). Luckily that was a temporary problem in our area because I don't think Carl could take much more! :) Overall though, things are going well. Today is the last day that I plan on meeting Lily's bus at school and walking her in. On Monday, I am going to go to the school but not let her see me and just discretely check to make sure that all goes well. I know that it may seem crazy, but you've got to give a mother some slack. She's still my baby. With Lily at school all day, I've been able to focus more on William (and me) during the day. I'm excited to get to work with William one-on-one. He is such a sweet boy, and I love getting the opportunity to see him in action on his own. I also went back to the gym this morning for the first time in an embarrassingly long time, and I even got an uninterrupted nap yesterday afternoon with an unrushed shower. Am I in a fairy tale? Someone pinch me.

With Lily's transition to "real school", I've been noticing how much more mature she seems lately. One of the most notable examples of this happened last week. Carl and I put the kids to bed and then went in the backyard for about 15-20 minutes to enjoy the cooler weather together. When we came back in, Lily was up and going back up the stairs. It is really rare for her to get up at night, and I felt bad that she did not know where we were. I asked her if she was scared, and she said that she was but her plan was to go back to bed and then if we still were not there in the morning, she was going to call the police. I was blown away by that level of thought and ability to manage her emotions. I can't help but stand in awe of the girl that she's become. And a few other fun sayings from Lily lately:


  • I asked Lily a question while she was drawing, and she said, "Mommy, I'm concentrating right now". Sorry, my mistake.

  • Lily asked to watch a movie, and I said that she couldn't because it was bedtime. So she responded, "You're cruel".

  • William ruined one of Lily's play scenes that she set up with her Calico Critters, and she scolded him by saying, "William, I'm going to give you a piece of my mind".

  • My personal favorite - William and Lily were play tackling, and when she had him on the ground, she said, "Who's on top of the food chain now?"

1 comment:

Aunt Angela said...

The quotes are hilarious per usual!