Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lily's first day of Kindergarten

I am surprisingly having a tough time with Lily going to Kindergarten today. (I do have to mention here that I was not the only parent in our household to shed some tears last night at the thought of our baby starting the "big kid" school today - sorry to call you out, Carl.) Although I am super excited for her and know that she is ready, I am really feeling the loss. Not just the loss of her being here throughout the day, but the loss of a time in her life not defined by school. This begins a new chapter that will last into her adulthood which is just unfathomable. Lily, like always, is taking this transition in stride. Whenever we ask her about going to school, she usually gives a short answer and continues playing or doing whatever she was doing. I think that she has done so many camps and classes that this just seems like the next thing. I'm curious to see how this plays out in about a month when she realizes that this is all day, every day. My greatest hope is that by then, she is hooked and really wants to go to school because she enjoys it so much.


Whenever I get nervous, I go into organization mode to help me feel more prepared. Yesterday, I reviewed the menu for the week with Lily, and she made some adjustments. This is the meal she chose for today's lunch: pasta salad, mango and carrots with dip. I also slipped in a note from the family, wishing her a great first day.



All ready for school!





No first day jitters here! :)



Even though the bus stop is only two doors down, I thought it would be best to keep William "contained" in the stroller.









The bus ran late this morning because of everything associated with the first day (like some parents wanting to take pictures...). Lily wasn't too excited about having to wait for the bus for 20 minutes, but we passed the time away making up new lyrics to the "Wheels on the Bus" which William also found entertaining.



Lily getting off the bus at school. I was not too excited about the drop-off procedure at school and was very happy that I was there to guide her into school today. My plan is to be there for the next couple of weeks until I'm confident that she can do this on her own.



All settled in for the first day! Lily is such a pro at going to school. I'm so happy that she shows no trepidation toward this next step - it greatly helps to ease my own fears!!


2 comments:

Tori said...

So sweet! This post even made me a little misty-eyed! Congrats, Lily!

Aunt Angela said...

I love it! This is awesome.