Tuesday, February 23, 2010

4 months old


William went to his 4-month check-up yesterday, and everything looks great. He currently weighs 14 lbs. 11oz. (47%) and is 26.5 in. long (94%), although witnessing the measurements being taken, I think the height is a little off. His head circumference remains in the 25th percentile which continues to surprise me. When I look at pictures of him, his head always seems on the larger side to me. But overall, everything's great.
The big news of the appointment is that his doctor recommended moving ahead with baby food! Hooray! Lately William has been so fussy during the day. After exhausting my list of "ways to make baby happy", he is still just discontent. However, I've supplemented with a small bottle of formula a couple of times, and then he was just as happy as can be. Not surprisingly, this makes me think that he is just hungry and needs more. William's doctor also said that he has a theory that when babies start to drool a lot and start munching on their fingers, they are showing signs of being ready to eat. His guess is that the excess saliva is present to help digest the food. He said that parents often think that their baby is teething, but that's not the case. The doctor told me all of this before I mentioned William's drooling/munching behavior over the past month, so I just laughed along with him at all those foolish parents and their thoughts of early teething. ;)
So it looks like we are going to start on rice cereal this afternoon. Lily is so excited to help feed William that she can hardly stand it. She didn't want to go to school today, and I know that she is just afraid that I'm going to try to sneak a feeding in without her. She picked out new spoons for him yesterday (yellow of course since her AND William's new favorite color is yellow), and we got the cereal so we are all systems "go". Of course, I'll take some pictures to share with everyone.
We are going to follow the four-day wait rule before introducing each new food, but we are really excited about this new phase. It just seems like we are making big strides in his development and that we are on our way from a helpless little baby to a eating, rolling, laughing, cooing, interactive little ball o' fun!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This picture is adorable! I have a two week vacation coming up -would love to see you guys and hang out. - Janie

Unknown said...

Look at that little boy. I just want to squeeze him. Oh I love you all.

Tori said...

Very interesting about the drooling bit...Doc's theory does have merit and I noticed the same symptoms in Leo...curious!

Also, loved your inventive ideas about toys and "new" toys...may have to try some of those myself! Now that this week is in the 40s, though, we will hopefully get outside a bit too!