Thursday, January 14, 2010

William update

Having previous experience with Lily, Carl and I have learned one thing in parenting: the one thing you can count on is change. As soon as you have a problem figured out, a routine down, etc., there are new challenges and changes waiting around the corner. So, when William started to get a little more fussy over the past couple of days, we thought "here we go"! Maybe our laid back little one is going through a new phase of not-so-happy. We also noticed an adorable new habit of munching on his little arm. I don't remember Lily having ever done that. Then I remembered taking William's picture a couple of days ago and continually wiping away the drool on his chin (which has continued through today). In the 5 minutes that Carl and I got to see each other last night, he noted that if he didn't know better, he would say that William is teething. I initially laughed thinking William is way too young to be teething, just as Carl thought, but now I'm convinced that is what is going on. Today William was going to town on his fingers, just munching and munching away. Also, he has been a terrific sleeper from the start, and lately he has been sleeping in little fits and bursts. I just know it is due to his discomfort. I checked his gums for any sign that a tooth may be getting ready to pop through, but I just can't tell. His bottom gums seem a bit bumpy and there may be a whitish cap, but I'm not positive.

Before Carl mentioned a possible prognosis, I never even stopped to add up all of these new behaviors because it just seemed way too early for any developmental milestones like this. I looked on a couple of parenting websites today, and they said that normal teething age is between four and six months, with some developing as early three months and some as late as a year. If this is a correct prediction of what is going on with William, he would be on the early end at not-yet-three months while Lily was on the later end at about seven months. Just one of many ways that they will differ, I'm sure! I'm really anxious to see if anything develops over the next few days; I will keep everyone posted!

1 comment:

Tori said...

We experienced this same thing with Sophia actually. Her doctor said it wasn't necessarily uncommon but he'd be surprised if she actually broke a tooth before 8months and sure enough he was right! So, hopefully, for the sake of your boob, William won't either, but hopefully he'll find some relief soon! Poor kiddo!