Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lily update

My Lily. When you have your first baby, you think you could not love any being any more than you love that little one right at that moment. So how is it possible that every day I love her more and more? My heart can hardly stand it sometimes. As she gets older, she also holds me to a higher standard in parenting. Almost daily I question if I am good enough for her. Am I nurturing but providing enough structure to enable a successful life? I am providing guidance but not so much so as to take away the "carefree" days of youth? Above all, I want her to enjoy and appreciate all the details of life. I hope that I am passing on this perspective by example.

Lately she seems so much more mature to me. Often when we tell her not to do something, she simply says, "Okay". Not always, of course, but the fact that it happens at all is amazing. Also, she just moved into a booster seat which I am still adjusting to. It really forced me to admit that she is no longer a baby but a little girl. Her interactions with William are so motherly and just precious. She is so incredibly loving toward him and has been from Day 1. She is always thinking about him, his wants and needs, and often "interprets" what he is saying to me. She has never complained about him crying or taking away attention from her. She showers him with affection and attention and has come such a long way in understanding limits with him.

Lily is still as spirited as ever. Although I love her spunk, it is easier to appreciate some times more than others. She still cannot sit still for a meal. She will often do laps around the table, talking nonstop while twirling and posing and pausing now and then to take bites of her food. Her food preferences and intake change daily. If you ask her if she wants to eat out, she will usually say "no" with the exception of going to Chuck E. Cheese or Panera Bread (her absolute favorite food is their broccoli-cheddar soup). At home, she is all across the board. She is very open to trying new things and surprises us with the things she likes (like eating an entire Asian pork chop recently). She definitely has a sweet tooth as well and partakes in her fair share of candy and ice cream.

Right now Lily's play often entails someone getting married, having a birthday party, or taking care of lots of babies. She can often be found holding a pony, a doll, or stuffed animal, and we find groups of toys (usually ponies) all around the house clearly arranged for some type of party scenario. She also loves her computer games (she got 3 new ones for Christmas) and has become quite adept at working the computer. She still loves reading books and still does not care for writing. Although we have started working with her every day, she shows pretty much zero interest in it. She is proud when she gets it right, but I think it is only because we are proud, not so much an intrinsic pride. Related to writing, she is not that into drawing or coloring but does enjoy more crafty projects. Occasionally she will want to play a board game or do a puzzle, but on most days she would much rather play in the backyard with her dad and Terra or play "hide and seek" with them, a current favorite. She has also rediscovered her rollerskates and enjoys the challenge that they present.

In sum, Lily has been and always will be her own unique little person. I'm pretty sure that she is one of the only four-year-olds that insists on going to bed with a picture of John F. Kennedy on her nightstand. What she shares with all for-year-olds is a curiosity of the world, and I am enjoying sharing the discovery process with her.

3 comments:

Carolyn Zook said...

Beautiful, Kathleen!I love your updates on your children! Must provide a wonderful time for you to reflect. You know you're raising her right if she insists on having a picture of JFK next to her bed! ;)

Tori said...

I would go to bed with a picture of JFK next to my bed too, but I think my husband would throw me out! ;)

Unknown said...

What a darling. She truly is amazing.