Monday, November 24, 2008

Doctor, Doctor, give me the news

It is no wonder with our recent visit to Carl's work and then to the Pediatrician for her three-year-old check-up (or as Lily says, "check out") that Lily has wanted to play "doctor" this week.

First, Lily checks my chart. I asked if I could see it, and she very definitively told me, "No, it is only for the doctor to see". I considered bringing up patient rights and HIPAA regulations but thought I would save that for a later time.



The baby "sounds good". (Notice the seriousness and concentration.)


It is determined that the baby needs a shot. Unfortunately, she informed the baby that this shot has "kiki" in it, and kiki really stings. However, she reassured the baby by telling her that tomorrow she will get a shot that does not have kiki in it so it will not sting so much. Now there's something to look forward to!

Lily's visit to the doctor went swimmingly. From the moment she walked in, she was in total control, exuding her natural confidence. With a hand on her hip, she followed the nurse down the hall, stepped on the scale (32 lbs.), stood in front of the ruler (37.75 in), and even agreed to go get a hearing and vision test (pass, pass) without mom & dad present. She took a break from "reading" the nutrition pyramid diagram to acknowledge the doctor's presence every so often, but he really won her over with unlimited access to his sticker drawer. It goes without saying that both Carl and I left the office with stickered clothing and hands. Lily only received the flu shot at this visit. Again, she was mostly engrossed in the diagram but was keeping an eye on the nurse with the needle. I give a lot of credit to the nurse and her technique because Lily barely acknowledged that she had been given a shot. Overall, I was really happy with the office environment, the doctor, and staff. Of course, not so much that I would want to visit there often. :)

2 comments:

Tori said...

She may be the only 3 year old I know with a real stethoscope and real syringe...nice.

Anonymous said...

How cute is that?! I miss her! See you all in less than a month! YAY!