Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My turn to whine

I think that my daughter has lost the ability to talk. Lately it seems that the only possible way for her to communicate is through high-pitched, drawn-out language commonly known as whining. She gets set off by everything: we won't let her put the button in her mouth, have ice-cream for breakfast, have two vitamins, or we have to brush her hair, put on/take off clothes, wipe her nose, eat breakfast... There is no doubt that she is frustrated by these things and that's ditto for us when she's putting up a fight. To top it off, mommy has to do everything. No one else can get her food, drink, put her to bed, play with her... Some days I go to work, and I'm already at the end of my chain (like today). I'm so mad and sad at the same time. Where did my sweet little girl go, and why has she been replaced with this temper-tantrum-prone girl? The truly hard part is when we get short periods of time when we interact, and she is just the best thing ever. She's smiley, giggly, loquacious, and all-around just fun to be with. But, I feel like I'm walking on eggshells during those times just waiting for the bubble to burst and for her to start melting down for some unforeseen reason. Right now it's really a guessing game: Could she be feeling tired/sick? I know that she's congested and had a hard time sleeping at night lately because of the drainage.... Or, is this just the age? A two-year-old time of constantly testing limits to find out how far over the edge she can push her parents... Or, is she feeling the upcoming changes in our lives as sharply as we are? Maybe she knows her life is about ready to be completely changed and rearranged... Likely, it is a combination of everything. I just keep thinking that maybe there is something more that I could have done, should be doing, I don't know. I'm at a loss.

3 comments:

Tori said...

I feel your need to whine and vent but remember you are the best mom I know...I want to be you when I grow up! You're right, she probably is feeling the stresses of things now too, but you guys will get through it! Keep on keepin' on and the times they will be a changin'. :) love you!

Kathleen said...

I need your Bob Dylan dance!! Thanks for the support :)

Anonymous said...

Awww, I am sorry your are going through this. While I am not a mother by any means, I must believe what Dad says that this too shall pass.