Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mama, I'm comin' home!

Get our season passes for the MUNY, our membership to the Magic House, make reservations at Cunettos on the hill, get our free passes to the zoo, and mark your calendars for the next Monster Mash 'cause, baby, I'm goin' home! Carl got his first choice, Barnes Jewish Hospital in St. Louis!!! I think that I was the only person in the entire room that started crying before the envelopes were passed out and continued on for the next hour until the ceremony was over (and beyond). It was such an emotionally charged day; I can't even begin to describe it. Luckily, we did not have to wait long to find out the news. Out of about 150 students, Carl's name was called fourth. (Envelopes were given out in random order.) I was so distracted that I forgot my camera this morning, we bought a disposable one when we were there, and then I still didn't get a picture of Carl receiving the sealed envelope because I was such a blubbering mess. Carl had to open the envelope because I couldn't handle it. But, man, was I happy when he did!

The ceremony didn't start until noon, and the students had to be there at 9:00 am. It was truly one of the longest mornings EVER. To top it off, there was a lecture beforehand on the history of the school that lasted an hour. I don't think I even need to say more on that. It is really neat, though, that Carl attended the oldest public medical school (est. 1807) and is going to the hospital associated with Wash U where surgical pathology was invented. We are both so excited, and Lily too, although she may end up being a bit disappointed when she realizes that we aren't actually moving in with Grandma and Pop Pop:) Thanks for everyone's support during this entire process; we couldn't be happier with the outcome! Way to go, Carl!!! We're so proud of you!

And, Happy 60th Birthday to Carl's dad (the other Dr. Deetz)!

8 comments:

Nadine said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! We are soooo excited for you guys!!

Tori said...

yaaaaaaaaaay! We are all so happy for you and can't wait for the big move! Love you all and congrats, Carl!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news...we're so happy for you! And glad to have you back in the midwest
Aunt Pam

Kellys said...

Congratulations! Can't wait to see you in St. Louis and at Barnes!

Jim, Molly and Jack

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys and am excited that you are moving back to St. Louis!

Janie

Anonymous said...

And Baby we can't wait!!!!Needless to say I was the same blubbering mess,couldn't sleep all night and then cried this morning over nothing and everything. Can't even begin to tell you how excited we are, Carl did an outstanding job to get our daughter back home (now we have to work on Suzanne) SEE YOU IN SAINT LOUIE Love you Mom

Suzanne said...

YAHOO!!!! It all seems like a dream for us so I can't imagine how it must feel for all of you!! Needless to say people were crying all over the country because of that one little envelope - nothin' like livin' la vida loco!

Anonymous said...

I get to see Ms. Lillian anytime I want. How exciting?! I love you guys and knew that you would come home! How could we live apart?! Suzanne is next!