Saturday, November 25, 2006

Rotavirus Lily: The New Typhoid Mary

Carl and I were reminiscing the other day about how getting sick used to mean days of resting on the couch, drinking hot tea, and eating chicken noodle soup in order to nurture ourselves back to health. Those were the days... Now we do not have the luxury of being sick. Carl, Lily and I have just recovered from the stomach flu. Our symptoms began late Monday night and by Tuesday morning, it was difficult to even lift our heads off of our pillows. But we did, and we both went into work. I only made it 3 hours before I had to go back home. Carl lasted the day, but I think he was worse for the wear. I have to say that taking a sick day (or half day) just is not what it used to be when you have a sick toddler to take care of, but we managed.

Luckily, my parents and sister, Angela, arrived Wednesday night, and as my dad said, "The troops have arrived and now you don't have to worry about anything." I think that I could have cried. There is certainly nothing like having family around, especially when you're sick. (And, I actually did get that hot tea and chicken noodle soup!)

Our plan was to host Thanksgiving this year for my mom, dad, my sister Angela, my sister and her husband Suzanne and Tim, and their girls Mary and Katie (by hosting I mean providing the house while my parents cook and basically take care of everything else). Unfortunately, within 24 hours of their arrival, we managed to infect both Angela and my dad with the bug and had to delay seeing Lily's cousins until after Thanksgiving Day. So our Thanksgiving table was a little smaller than expected, but we had a very nice time nonetheless.

My parents and Angela are back in St. Louis today, and we miss them terribly. Fortunately, Suzanne and her family were able to stay a little longer so the girls can get plenty of cousin-time before heading back to Missouri. I will update with pictures soon. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

No comments: