Sunday, August 13, 2006

The Perfect Storm


Our little girl has not been getting much sleep lately due to three forces that have collided within her: sore gums (from teething), a cold or cold-like symptoms, and gas. The first two are related, I think. We are pretty sure about the teething, judging from the drool and fairly continuous chomping on her fingers and various other objects that she finds soothing, including her pacifier, a small rubber ducky, and a little plastic envelope that came with her play house. I think that the runny nose, drainage, and subsequent sore throat/coughing are actually due to the teething. I have definitely seen other children in our center develop similar cold-like symptoms when teething, so I'm guessing that is what's going on with Lily. The gas, I fear, is my fault. We had take-out Chinese food on Friday night, and I don't think her stomach (or mine) has been the same since. So no one has gotten much sleep this weekend, which makes for a difficult start to the work week.

Even though Lily was under the weather this weekend, the skies were sunny and beautiful. We even managed to go on a family walk this weekend, which was so nice. We went to our local park with Terra and Lily in tow and enjoyed a lovely afternoon talking and walking together while Lily slept in the stroller and Terra got to sniff some new territory. Just what the doctor ordered. Speaking of doctors...

Carl went to see his doctor this past week for his yearly follow-up exam, and the receptionist called into the waiting room for "Dr. Deetz" when it was his turn. I think that is the first time he has been called "Dr. Deetz" by someone other than friends and family. It still seems very funny to me that Carl is a doctor. Although I will be very honest, it is a little sexy. (All went well with his exam, by the way.)

Carl is one week into his psychiatry rotation and has confirmed that this is not the field that he wants to go into. Can't say that I blame him. Otherwise, all is well. Lily is going to the doctor on Wednesday for her 9-month check-up (can you believe it?), so I will update with more info then.

No comments: