Wednesday, August 16, 2006

9 Month News

Lily and I had an impromptu Mommy and Me Day yesterday when she woke up with a fever of 102.1. I gave her Tylenol through out the day in addition to a cool bath and gradually her temperature came down. When we called her doctor, he said that it sounded like a virus and since she had an appointment scheduled for the next day anyway, we could just wait until then unless it got worse. He also said that, generally, they don't worry too much unless a baby's fever is over 103 or lasts for 5 days or more, which was surprising to me. This is actually the first time that she has had a fever, and the first time that I have had to take her temperature rectally - fun. We have been very fortunate with Lily in that she hasn't really had more than a cold in her nine months of life. But, when I was taking her to the doctor's office this morning, I noticed a rash on her legs and around her diaper area. When the doctor saw her and the rash from across the room, he had an "ah ha" moment. Diagnosis: Roseola. Apparently, this is a very common virus for children her age and especially during this time of year. It explains the cold-like symptoms, the fussiness, decreased appetite, and subsequent fever. The fever was gone by this morning, and the rash is apparently the sign for the virus having run its course.

Otherwise, all is well. Lily is progressing nicely. She weighs 18 lbs. 4 oz., is 26 1/2 inches long, and her head is measuring 17 inches in circumference. This puts her at about the 25th percentile in all areas. As the doctor said, "She is very proportionate actually." He likes the word actually, and he actually uses it a lot.

Carl, naturally, had his first nearly 30-hour shift at the hospital yesterday in the midst of all of this. But, he is home and resting now and will not have to have any overnighters for the rest of this month. Lily, Terra, and I did pretty well, considering. I would be remiss if I did not give props to all those single parents out there. In just one night of going it alone, I feel out of sorts. I was not really together today at work, and I have a feeling it wouldn't be long until I wasn't all there as a parent either. I would also be remiss if I didn't express my gratitude for having such an amazing partner in parenting and in life. Sometimes it is good to be reminded of how good you've got it. And I definitely "got it good".

As sort of an odd side note, Lily and I will probably be on the local news tomorrow. One of the t.v. stations is doing a special on vaccinations, and they are going to interview our doctor. They asked him if they could do an interview with one of his patients, and he asked me if I would do it and bring Lily with me. Crazy fun!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

How exciting - try to get a copy of Lily's tv debut. We would love to see it! I hope that she is feeling better today.

Ingrid said...

Can't wait to see you all! Only a few more hours!