Monday, November 07, 2005

40 Weeks and Frustrated

Unfortunately, I have nothing exciting to report after our doctor's visit today. My blood pressure was lower today than it has been for the entire pregnancy. Go figure since I basically disregarded the bedrest recommendation. The baby has dropped a bit but still NO progress has been made with dilation/effacement. We asked about possibly inducing next week but he said that something would have to happen with the cervix in order for him to induce so as to not increase the risk of a c-section.

We have a sonogram scheduled for tomorrow because he wants to get a better sense of just how big she is right now. He is estimating that she is currently around 8 pounds. Since babies put on about 1/2 pound per week at this stage in the pregnancy, we have to watch her weight to make sure that she doesn't get too big - another c-section risk.

I entirely counted on the fact that the baby would be late and that we would have to be induced in order to start the labor process. I did not count on not even being able to get to the point where we can safely induce with a reasonable expectation for a natural delivery. Such is life I suppose. I am allowing myself this day for a little frustration and self-pity, and then tomorrow it's time to get over it and move on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I hear your frustration, but don't let it discourage you, little baby Deetz has an agenda and everything will be fine. I told you that she is waiting for grandma to get there. I will see you on Friday, then we can welcome her together, I can't wait. Take care and I love you.

Suzanne said...

The last days are so difficult. The final doctors appointments are the worst because expectations are so high going in that something must be happening. I remember trying to focus on the fact that these are the final moments that you have her closer than you ever will and you can keep her safe and cozy and all to yourself. Try to relax, trust mother nature, and distract yourself any way possible!

Ingrid said...

I told you to run around the block before going to the Dr.! Actually, I keep hearing that washing the floor is supposed to induce labor. Probably Murphy's Law - clean the floor and your water will break!

Anyway, I'm with Grandma Meyer and Suzanne, she'll come when she's ready and until then just spend sometime baby-ing your puppy. :-)