Monday, October 31, 2005

No Treat Yet!


So today we had a bit of a Halloween scare. We went to the doctor for another check-up. Unlike previous visits, I lost weight (7 pounds since last week according to their chart) and my blood pressure went up considerably. The spike in blood pressure won us a trip to the hospital for further testing. The doctor said that they would monitor my blood pressure and if they found that it decreased and stabilized, I would get to go home but be on strict bedrest for the remainder of the pregnancy or if it didn't decrease, I would be induced. This was definitely a big surprise considering that past visits have been so uneventful, and I really haven't had any abnormal symptoms or problems over the past week. But, my blood pressure did decrease while they were monitoring me, so I was able to go home. No Halloween baby!

So now a tough phase begins because I really dislike bedrest - especially the strict part. The doctor basically said that I can get up to go to the bathroom and that's pretty much it. Now I have no excuse for catching up on some reading! It isn't so bad because this can't last more than 2 weeks and more than likely, it will only be about a week or so. We go back to the doctor again next Monday unless some other symptoms arise, and we'll see how things are then. We are actually only 6 days away from the due date so this era is coming to an end regardless. The reason that the doctor does not want to induce now is because my cervix still has not made any progress, and the baby is still very high. However, next week we are definitely bringing the labor bag and all other necessities just in case we are sent to the hospital again and we aren't able to go home. I have a feeling that he may want to induce next week even if no progress has been made with regard to dilation/effacement. Since he normally induces on Wednesdays, November 9th may be a very significant day this year and in years to come. Who knows! One thing is for sure - the days of uneventful doctor visits are over. Happy Halloween to everyone!!

3 comments:

Nadine said...

Well, it's too bad that you're having such an eventful final week(ish) of pregnancy, but YAY for the soon-impending arrival!! We are SOOOO excited!!!

Ingrid said...

Guess that will make you guys the big winner on the due-date debate. What was that doctor thinking - Nov. 19th. Sheesh!

Hang in there on the bed-rest. Try to think of it as pre-sleep for the weeks ahead!

Roger said...

Hang in there! It won't be long!