Sunday, September 18, 2005

33 Weeks and Counting

Just as I was in my blissful state of pregnancy...

Saturday morning I woke up to a very sharp pain in my left side. The pain seemed to radiate out across my lower abdomen, and I thought these pains may be my first painful Braxton-Hicks or warm-up contractions (albeit a bit early). However, as the day went on, the pain seemed to stay on the left hand side and became very intense when I got up or shifted while sitting. I think that more than likely I pulled something either at work or by coughing and sneezing from the cold. The doctor recommended bed rest for the weekend so this is weekend #2 without being able to go out.

I always thought that bed rest didn't seem like such a bad thing. You have a legitimate excuse to lay around all day and relax without feeling guilty. I have found that laying around all day, like most things, is not as much fun when you have to do it. So, this weekend has been spent watching movies (Something to Talk About, Stepmom, Sleeping with the Enemy, Bad Company- most of which I've seen at least twice before), reading (baby magazines and books), downloading songs at itunes, preparing materials for work and writing in the baby book.

I am sincerely hoping that this injury heals quickly. I have a newfound appreciation for women who are put on bed rest for extended periods of time. I'm not sure how you find ways to amuse yourself over several weeks, or God forbid months, but I certainly don't want to find out. I also would not want to deal with the extra pounds that most definitely would accompany weeks of laying on the couch. At our last doctor's appointment, I had gained a total of 26 pounds during the pregnancy. Not terrific, but I guess not bad either - we shall see what the last weeks bring.

We are now at 33 weeks with only 7 weeks (give or take) left to go. It seems unreal that we are this far along. I am so happy that the last weeks of the pregnancy will be during the fall - my absolute favorite time of year. I am looking forward to watching the changing the leaves, picking apples and pumpkins at the pumpkin farm (and the subsequent baking), going to a nearby vineyard for their fall celebrations, and maybe even catching a Ravens game. The only remaining baby-related things we have left to do are: a breastfeeding class and infant safety class during the next 2 weeks, a car seat inspection (scheduled for early October), and waiting for the stroller and glider to arrive. Our next doctor's appointment is this week, and I will provide updates of any news then.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Well - our internet is up and running finally so I thought that I would see how things are coming along. The nursery looks beautiful. Almost ready for "baby girl Deetz" to come home. That is what she will be called by the hospital until you name her. We found that out quickly when our little angel was called "baby girl Kissock" for the first twenty-four hours. I hope that you are feeling even better than when we last talked earlier today. I know that bedrest may seem boring but PLEASE enjoy it for those of us who cannot remember laying around on a Sunday afternoon. Although we cannot complain, Mary Mackenzie keeps us hopping but overall she is great fun to spend the day with. We find that she is more and more beautiful and brilliant everyday. I know we may be a little biased but it is hard to deny. Have a great Monday tomorrow and take care of my little neice!
Suzanne

Ingrid said...

A little Julia Roberts fest is always a good thing. I'm sure you'll be as good as new in no time, but if you do have to stay in bed for awhile longer order up some netflicks!

Roger said...

Take it easy, and feel better!