Saturday, July 23, 2005

Little Epiphanies

We have returned from St. Louis and are getting settled back in. Thank you to all our friends and family, especially my sisters and mom, for the surprise shower. I was truly surprised which I guess says a lot about my gullibility since the shower was at my parent's house (where I was staying). I'm really lucky that Carl is such as trustworthy and faithful husband because it doesn't take much to pull the wool over my eyes!
I really miss everyone back home and wish we could move back to St. Louis sooner. Now that we have a baby on the way, I am so grateful every day for both of our families. Not that we weren't grateful before, but it has become a source of great pride that we able to bring a baby into the world knowing that the love and support we have been given will be passed on to our child.
The baby is not even here yet but I feel that she helped to simplify and clarify life already. Things that may have seemed important before pale in comparison to seemingly small events. For example, Carl felt the baby kick for the first time last night. His reaction was total and complete excitement and happiness - the kind of pure emotion that I typically only see in the children that I have worked with. I know that I'll never forget that moment. As my father says, you have to look for those little epiphanies every day; it just seems easier to do now.

3 comments:

Roger said...

Babies do have a great way of clarifying life. In a way, it comforting to know that the only thing that really matters now is making sure your baby is safe and healthy. But, I wouldn't go so far as to say they do any "simplifying"... ;)

Anonymous said...

We were so excited that we were able to surprise you for the shower. For some reason that is important to me. Also important to me are my children, it is good to know that you will now see how I have felt all these years with my children.
We are glad that you received so many wonderful gifts, family and friends are truly a blessing.
We love you.

Anonymous said...

Yay for the new mommy and daddy! I am speaking for EVERYONE when I say that you two were born for this and are going to be wonderful parents. Your children will just come to me so they can be cool and I can tell them about pop culture and explain to them that their parents have given up on such a thing. I love you guys!