Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Pregnancy update

I haven't updated much about the pregnancy because there has been so little to tell. All appointments to date have been rather boring. They are the 5-minute, "How are you feeling?, Any questions?, Let's check your blood pressure and the baby's heartbeat...See you next time" kind. But today was the first of the weekly visits that are bit more exciting. First, he checked for dilation...1 cm, thank you very much. He said that she is very high and definitely moving and shaking in there (not that I needed him to tell me that!) Surprisingly, my blood pressure is holding steady - just slightly high but still falling in the normal range. They did the Group B Strep test today, but I won't get those results back for a couple days probably (those Pathologists, always holding things up...).
The biggest news of the day is that he wants to do an ultrasound in two weeks (Oct 5th) to check the size of the baby. Because William was so large at birth, he wants to check and see where we stand at (just under) 38 weeks. I asked what it would mean if the baby measured big, as in, would he induce? He said that if the baby measured big, it would mean we would have a discussion. Okay. I'm up for discussions. I only wish he would have considered this with William when I was practically begging him to induce so that I would not miss my sister's wedding! The other thing he mentioned was that if I went into labor from this point forth, he would not try to stop it. Even though there is little to no chance of that happening in the next couple of weeks, it is still nice to hear that you are in a safer zone for delivery. So all around, pretty good things.
Of course, there are other things happening in October from minor - Halloween parties - to major - the beginning of a hybrid course I'm teaching starting Oct 19th. A hybrid course means that it is half online and half face-to-face classes (once per week for 8 weeks). The first face-to-face class for this course is Oct 19th, just 3 days before my due date. I was well aware of this fact when I agreed to teach the class, but the Chair of the department really needed someone to teach it, so I agreed. A full-time professor in the department very kindly offered to teach the first class if I was in the hospital at the time, but I would hate to miss the very first class. Of course, this is not something that I wanted to worry about right now, but so it is.
The other October event I've been focused on is William's birthday. My due date is on William's birthday, and while I'm not worried about having the baby on his birthday, I still want there to be a celebration on his birthday (which is a Saturday) and to make his day special. So, I planned a little family party at my mom and dad's house on that day. My plan is to get all decorations and as much food as possible there beforehand so that everything will be set and go on regardless of whether or not I'm actually there. It's just very important to me that this happens even though I know he doesn't know the difference.
So that's what is going on right now. We are super-excited to meet our little baby girl - and excited to reveal her name! Speaking of which, with just about 4 weeks to go, I think it is time to place your bets!!

5 comments:

Aunt Angela said...

Amelia Jane. And I cannot wait for this baby!

Ingrid said...

I'm not sure we've gotten the same number of clues, but I'm going with Isabella Jane.

Kathleen said...

I promise I gave everyone the same clues - no cheating! :)

Ingrid said...

Haha. No, I meant the same number as we had with William. I wasn't trying to accuse you of giving more clues to some!

Tori said...

I'm sticking with Eleanor Jane...although it seems that the "primate" clue got us all on the same path, it was a good one...haha!