Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Snow day!

So today is Snow Day #.....oh, who can keep track at this point? The "Storm of the Century" didn't quite hit St. Louis like they predicted it would. I think, in total, we probably saw somewhere around just under a half inch of ice followed by maybe 4 inches of snow. Not really anything to write home about. Lily was VERY disappointed that we didn't have a "black out", so we had to pretend last night by turning out all the lights, lighting candles around the house and using flashlights. She thought it was pretty fun but definitely would have preferred the real deal (unlike her parents). Below are a few pictures from yesterday and today.


Our self-inflicted "black out"

Lily and William are JUST beginning to actually play TOGETHER, meaning not Lily telling William exactly what she wants him to do and forcing him to do it, but actually a little give and take. It doesn't happen often right now, but it is fun to watch this next phase unfold.


Go, go, go!




An icicle from the play structure!

Next are a few shots from outside. Honestly, even the thought of taking the kids out in the snow sometimes is enough to make me want to just go take a nap. Trying to put on 20 different items of clothing between the two kids (by myself) is exhausting to say the least. It usually takes us a solid 30 minutes, and we are usually outside for less than that (and then you have to take it all off, hang the outerwear to dry, wash & dry the clothes, and put everything away). I have to admit, now more than ever, I am a Spring/Fall person all the way. Between putting on all the sunscreen, protective hats, sunglasses, and what-not during the summer, and the layers of clothes, hats, gloves in the winter, it can be a real headache sometimes. But, as a mother, I know I am obligated, so I've done my duty for the day. :)



Hi mom!

William enjoyed the snow much more this time, but he did let me know when he was done by going to the deck, climbing up the stairs and trying to open the door to the house. Like I've said before, he does not say a lot of words yet but that does not mean that he doesn't communicate effectively.



Little snow bear


Lily was showing me a frozen twig when the wind swept it away; she thought that was very funny!


Checking out the ice on tree


And, to end...a few Lily-isms for the day:
  • Lily called her cousin Mary this morning, and told her, "I washed all the dishes this morning. I really have no one to blame but myself."
  • While doing said dishes, she was talking and talking. In the midst of her own conversation, she said, "Whoa, now that's a doozy of a problem."
  • She was also explaining the meaning of origami to William today, which was defined as "to make things, like you're making genius things right now."
  • I was considering when to put William down for his nap, and I told Lily that I should probably put him down. She responded, "No, not now, please. He's such a helpful and brave man."
  • William found a plastic spoon and an empty can (intended for recycling) in the pantry and was pretending to eat out of the can with the spoon. Lily very affectionately told him, "Oh William, you have such a wonderful imagination." If so, I wonder where he gets it?

1 comment:

Carolyn Zook said...

Oooh! I love your blog so much and hearing the stories of your kids! I loved the Lily-isms at the end! That girl cracks me up! I have a friend on FB whose young son asked her to sleep in his room tonight and she told him that, no, she couldn't do that. He said, "Fine, then, I'll get a mohawk." I love the things kids say! :)