Monday, November 15, 2010

Lily's 5th birthday party: The Diner

Lily chose a sock hop theme for her birthday party this year, and I have to say that this was my favorite theme (and my favorite birthday party) yet. For the invitations, we gave out cd's of 50's music with the party info detailed on the inside cover. We had reports from more than one parent that they waking up with "Jailhouse Rock" and going to bed listening to the "Peppermint Twist"! The party featured a diner, dance hall and drive-in theater. We had tons of fun with this. A huge thank you must go out to Ingrid, Ryan, and Carl's mom for watching William the day before the party while we set up. Also, a huge thank you to Suzanne and my mom for taking Lily the day before the party. Carl and I had 6 hours straight without kids which went a long way in preparing for the party (while keeping our sanity). Now I think we are going to lay low before we host 2 more children's parties in December. What can I say? We like to celebrate life!


My greaser husband was the short order cook who prepped and cooked the food for the diner as well as popping the popcorn for the drive-in. I especially liked his added touch of rolling a deck of cards in his sleeve. What fun dad!

Mom and my sister Suzanne at the diner (pre-party). We moved the kitchen table out and added children's tables to create a kid-friendly dining experience. It was super-cute, and I think the kids really enjoyed it.


The menu featured diner-fare of course


Ingrid and Ryan were great sports, helping us out by serving food and drinks to the diners. They brought the hats from Steak and Shake to really complete the look which was just awesome. We are going to owe Ingrid and Ryan lots of favors when they have little ones of their own!


Ingrid and Ryan work their magic behind the counter


William diggin' on some 'dogs at the diner


Lily and her girls working the diner scene


Katie bug enjoying a fountain drink from a fun soda shop glass


I think he likes it! But what kids don't like an excuse to eat hamburgers, hot dogs and fries?


The diner became quite the hoppin' place





1 comment:

Kellys said...

Looks awesome! I wish we could have been there!