Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What little boys are made of







I realized that after all our name gaming, I never posted the reasons behind William Oscar's name. As I have said, Carl and I both really like family names. We especially wanted to honor Carl's grandfather, Oscar, who passed away in June of '08. Carl's middle name is also Oscar so it was a given that our little boy's middle name would be Oscar as well. Looking further back in the Deetz family history, we found William Oscar Eckert, Carl's grandfather's maternal grandfather (Carl's great great grandfather). We both really liked the name, and my English-major husband also was taken with its ties to great authors like William Shakespeare and William Faulkner. In addition, we both like the ties to the historical figure William Wallace. We also felt that it worked well with our little Lillian. And so that is how William Oscar came to be. I must mention the winners of the name game as well...my friends Molly and Janie and Carl's sister, Ingrid, and Ryan. Way to go; you know us well!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, not fair. I do not know Carl's family tree. I feel we had a disadvantage.

Kellys said...

I'm awesome (and I don't know Carl's family tree)!

Ingrid said...

For the record I had no idea we had a great great grandfather named William Oscar!

Anonymous said...

Lily and Willy! How cute:)

Kathleen said...

Ang - You and Suz were definitely on the right track with the author thing - it was just a different author (which may be a good thing since you've grown to like Nathaniel so much)!