Monday, June 22, 2009

Fun learning at home

Lily and I are back together again after deciding to make a more permanent commitment to a stay-at-home status for me. I originally thought that I would structure our days a bit like school and have weekly themes, etc. But, I felt that it was too limiting and just not practical at home. So instead, I just plan various educational activities for the week and try to follow Lily's interests. Also, we are managing to get in a lot of summer fun despite the oppressive heat wave currently in effect until Wednesday. Enough of the 100+ heat index already!


This was a math activity in which Lily had to find and identify the hidden numbers in the shaving cream. As you can see, Lily got really into the shaving cream. Good thing it is such an easy clean up!


We had several activities which involved fruits and vegetables. After categorizing some produce at home, Lily did a blindfolded taste test in which she had to try to identify fruit first by touch and then by taste. It was fun, and she did a great job!

2 comments:

Tori said...

That sounds like a great plan! And between you and Carl, I'm sure there will be plenty of learning going on at home, regardless of "structure"!

Carolyn Zook said...

Ha! Nice comment, Tori! Kathleen - your educational activities sure are inventive, creative, and look like a lot of fun!