Sunday, August 17, 2008

Mealtime adventures

As most know, I have an adventurous spirit when it comes to home-cooked meals. I love to try new recipes, and fortunately, the internet allows an endless supply of new recipes to try. I stumbled upon a new website (for me) that I really like. Cooking Light is my favorite cooking magazine, but since my subscription expired, I no longer have access to their website. But, lo and behold, the website myrecipes.com, has Cooking Light recipes! So, the subscription is no longer required which is awesome. Some recent menu items that we've had lately from this website are:
  • Chickpeas with Spinach - This is an old favorite of ours. This is originally from Cooking Light, and it is much better than it might seem at first glance. A very delicious vegetarian meal - there are never leftovers with this at our house and that says a lot with carnivore Carl.
  • Five-Spice Pork Lo Mein - Awesome, awesome, awesome. There's really nothing more to say. Loved it!
  • Green Bean Casserole - This was okay. I think I will stick with the original in the future. However, with a little extra swiss cheese added, the sauce would be PERFECT for fondue.

The Mayo Clinic also has a good website for recipes and a great cookbook that I checked out from the library.

  • Broccoli, garlic and rigatoni - This is very simple, but a good reminder of easy, healthy recipes that can be made in a pinch any night of the week.
  • Grilled Flank Steak Salad with Roasted Corn Vinaigrette - Add corn, black beans, and red onions to anything, and I'm there. I love this flavor combination. This recipe has a homemade vinaigrette that is sweet and a perfect compliment to the salad. Thumbs up from the whole family!
  • Mahi-mahi with Macadamia Nut Crust - Very tasty. We had this with brown rice and edamame, two of Lily's favorites. We snuck in a couple of bites of fish, but the mahi-mahi was definitely more appreciated by the adults in the house.
  • Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding - Nice but not the best. I'm not a big fan of bread pudding in general, so I may not be the best judge, but I thought it could be better.

There are many more recipes I want to try from the Mayo Clinic, including Spaghetti with Summer Squash and Peppers which we are probably going to try this afternoon.

Beyond the internet, I have discovered a great resource in getting cookbooks from the library. I have so many cookbooks that I love, but truthfully, I tend to use the same 3 or 4 recipes from each book. By checking out cookbooks from the library, I can try them out and then just copy the recipes that I like from each of them. Beautiful really.

One cookbook that I found to be surprisingly good is Recipes for IBS. It has good, healthy recipes for anyone. My favorite was the Mediterranean Meat Loaf. The Pork-Tendered for Better Digestion (pork tenderloin with green beans and lentils) was pretty good too. We are trying the Root Vegetable-Chicken-Apple Sausage Stew later this week. One recipe from the cookbook, however, was a big bomb. The now infamous (in our household) Polenta-Broccoli-Pesto Pizza, pictured below. I made the grave mistake of telling Lily that we were having a type of pizza for dinner. Obviously, she had a different idea in mind, and truthfully, I did too. We were both hugely disappointed. This was one of the worst dinners we have had in quite some time. With any experimenting, you are bound to come across some real losers every once in a while, and this one really takes the cake. Carl and I each managed to choke down half of a pizza (the recipe unfortunately made eight personal pizzas), before we opted for a quick stand-in: spaghetti with red sauce, always the reliable back-up. Just take my word on this one; you don't want to try it. Lily actually cried when she tasted it.


The video below shows Lily with her favorite, edamame. She is definitely a bean-loving girl. But, edamame is particularly fun because she can pop out the beans. They are slippery little suckers though. (Tori, I hope you got the Pretty Woman reference.) You can also see Lily's animated story-telling at dinner time. Here, Carl and Lily are discussing the game of Red Rover her class had played earlier that day.

No comments: