Sunday, June 29, 2008

Lily lingo

Lily has developed into quite the talker. She goes on and on and just loves to tell stories, make comments, ask questions, participate in conversations (with real or imagined people), and generally likes to hear herself talk as much as possible. Here are a small sample of comments made recently:
  • Lily grabs the real phone whenever it is in reach and quickly presses buttons and usually says quickly (as one of us hurries to get it away from her before she really calls anyone) "Hi, it's me. I'm doing well. Okay, bye-bye."
  • While riding in the car, Lily was eating something on a little plate. Carl took the plate from her when she was finished, and she remarked, "You got a sink in the car, daddy? Nah, that would be silly." Nah is definitely a favorite "word" right now, and it's so cute every time she uses it. She also adds a little laugh at the end just so you know that she was being funny.
  • She was very frustrated at a little cape that would not lay correctly on one of her play ponies and emphatically commanded, "You get over there, crazy thing!" With a desperate tone, almost verging on some real tears, she followed up with "You've snuck in my lair, and you've had all the fun." As those with young children will probably recognize, this is a quote from the book The Bear Snores On, one of the best children's books ever written, in my opinion. For some reason, she readily recites that line of the book when she is feeling frustrated/sad, just as the bear was feeling sad in that part as well. She sometimes extends it with the next line, "And me, I was sleeping, and I've had none." We know that when we hear this from her, she needs some real comfort/help.
  • "You understand me?" is a favorite right now too. She does not use it in a way that you might think though. Adults often say this when emphasizing a point, usually in the midst of discipline. Lily genuinely just wants to know if you've heard her and get whats she's saying. She used it in the following context last night: I was sitting on the couch and commented to myself how I need to make a grocery list for shopping the next day. Lily remembered that we had used the last of the butter while making pierogies for dinner and said, "We need butter. You understand me, mommy? The butter is all gone. We need to get more at the grocery store."

There are countless times in a day when we look at her and think, "How old are you?...Did she really just say that?"... And I know it is only get to worse, but it truly is fun. I'm not kidding when I say that I look forward to the next day just to hear what funny, crazy things she will come up with next!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Should I be offended that you deleted my blog...do you hate me now??? I thought we were friends.

Kathleen said...

Sorry Tori! I accidently put in the wrong address, and it didn't show up on my list. I'm still working through this; I have to get Ang's back on as well so don't feel bad, you're in good company. All is fixed for yours now. And you know I love you more than my luggage :)