Thursday, May 08, 2008

Let me tell ya 'bout the birds and the bees

Conversations with Lily are never dull. My latest favorite thing that she says is when either Carl or I are doing something that she does not want us to do, she says, "Honey, honey, honey..." and then proceeds to tell us what we should or should not be doing according to her. She has also taken to telling Carl and I to "stop talking" anytime we have a conversation between the two of us that she is not quite following. I actually heed her warning on this one and try to include her in the conversation because Carl stopped talking for a period of time when he was two-years-old, and I don't think anyone knows why to this day, but knowing that has made me hyper-aware of anything that might trigger the same reaction in her.

But, one of my favorite conversations to date happened tonight when we were reading books before bed. She picked out one of her "baby" books to read, First Words. In it, there is a picture of a girl and boy.
Lily said with a smile, "Boys have a 'gina?" (I'm not sure if the smile indicated that she actually knew the right association and was testing me (happens very often) or if she knew that she was getting into some tricky dialogue.)
I responded, "No, girls have a 'gina'."
"Oh. Boys have penises?"
"That's right."
"Why do boys have penises, mommy?"
"Well..."
"That's so silly, mommy. Boys should have 'ginas. They're silly."
"You're right, honey. Boys are silly." :)

I should mention that the entire reason that she knows about male and female body parts is because the bathrooms at her school are open and boys and girls use them together. So, when they naturally ask about the differences in anatomy, the teachers give them the vocabulary for them, like anything else. I really like this approach because it makes everything very natural and gives no cause to treat body parts as a taboo subject. It can catch you off guard though. :)

No comments: