Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Why I love my job

All of the things that make me laugh and contribute to my overwhelming job satisfaction cannot be found in any job description. Here are just a few recent highlights from my days...
  • Bead extraction from a child's nostril (who says the game Operation doesn't prepare you for life?)
  • Happy visits to the office for going pee-pee on the potty
  • A child "giving me his heart" each and every night before he leaves by putting his hands on his chest and making a throwing motion toward my heart (priceless)

One of the Family Medicine Physicians that Carl currently works with keeps a journal of things that his patients have said over the years. I really wish that I had done this in all my previous years of experience working with the 0-5 crowd. I'll try to post some of my favorite quotes from time to time because they are guaranteed to make you smile. One recent comment that stands out is from a little boy around 4 years old. He was having a conversation with one of the teachers about the weather (supposed to be a harmless, neutral subject, right?). The teacher had said that it looked like it was going to rain that day. He remarked "that stinks". She said that it was good because rain helps things grow. He inquired what would grow, to which she responded "the plants and trees". He sat quietly, lost in thought for a moment, and then retorted "Yeah, well, it doesn't help my 'peanut' grow any". It goes without saying to what he was referring. I think parents would be surprised to hear some of the things that their children say at school; it certainly keeps us amused.

No comments: