Sunday, April 15, 2007

Weekend Update and Random Thoughts...

...should have posted this one on Saturday night, I guess :)

We had a dreary, rainy weekend here further dampened by Lily's illness. She seems to have caught a stomach bug that has caused several bouts of diarrhea over the past two days and one episode of vomiting at around one o'clock this morning. Fortunately, Lily has remained her usual playful, perky self. She was a little more whiny than normal tonight, but I think that it was largely due to the fact that I cooked for about 4 1/2 hours straight, and she was understandably trying to redirect my attention to her. I felt guilty about not being able to focus on her, especially since she was not feeling well, but Carl is on-call twice this week so I knew that I needed to prepare in order to make the upcoming nights more manageable. We are looking forward to next month - no call nights - yay!!!

On the subject of next month, Carl and my six-year wedding anniversary is coming up in May, and I starting thinking about all the changes that have taken place in our lives since we got married. I think the thing that I have enjoyed the most in our relationship is watching Carl as a father. It amuses me to watch his quirky personality traits expressed through his parenting. Some examples...

*Last week at dinner, Lily was feeding herself with a spoon (as usual) and held it in a funny way (as usual). Carl very supportingly said, "It may be hard to pick up your food, holding your spoon that way, but that's a perfect continental backhand grip." He then proceeded to tell her how she would be a fierce competitor in tennis, especially if she indeed ends up being left-handed.

*Lily and I were reading nursery rhymes out of a children's book this weekend, and Carl beckons Lily to come over and sit by him because he has a rhyme that he wants to share with her. Lily goes over to him and adoringly smiles at him as he recites the tale of Mary Lee as told by a drunken Quint from the movie Jaws.

*Lily was being particularly fussy right after dinner on Friday night. Carl scooped her up, draped her over his shoulder and headed up the stairs to begin the nightly ritual of giving her a bath, letting her pick out her pajamas, putting on her lotion..., and as he was going up the stairs I overhear him say, "If you were a zoologist living in the mountains of Africa and working with gorillas, your name would be Dian Fussy."

Yes, the corny jokes have prevailed the test of time - and the test of having a child. It's true that a sense of humor (okay, that may be a stretch - but at least a lighthearted attitude) has helped us both to keep perspective during this somewhat hectic period of time in our lives. Carl shares his little quips with other medical students, residents, and attendings as well. One of his female co-workers said to him the other day, "Your wife must be cracking up constantly living with you". I don't know if I would go that far... Carl's jokes are definitely an acquired taste (I think Jean from the Pauza lab can sympathize with me on this one), but I do enjoy the completely random comments (and an amazingly extensive movie, trivia, and for that matter, general knowledge) that still keeps me entertained and amused after all this time.

4 comments:

Roger said...

Ah, yes, I miss those silly jokes. This post made me laugh.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing Dad!

Anonymous said...

Katheleen:

I loved the last video of Lilly she is adorable!

I am going to send Carl pictures of Lilly from the time Jean and I came to visit.

-Lindsay E.

Anonymous said...

Oh carl...he's just too much...but awfully cute sometimes!

I miss you guys!