Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Eleven Exquisite Months

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I currently have an ear infection that is nothing short of horrible. Apparently, ear infections in adults are worse than they are in infants. Even so, I can see why infants go into complete meltdown when they have an ear infection. I find it amusing that Lily is nearing her first birthday and has never had an ear infection (knock on wood), but instead I get one. Go figure. Anyway, I'm on about 4 medications and haven't been very coherent lately. You know that you're really having some fun when you have to take medications to deal with the side effects of other medications. Sweet.

When I went to my doctor after being on two of the medications for a couple days, I explained that I kept vomiting about every hour, food intake or not. Of course, his first question to me was could I be pregnant. And the answer is....are you crazy?! Really, like I need to add to the chaos in my life right now. I love my Lily, but I'm so not ready for another. I'm not sure how my sister, Suzanne, manages with two that are 22 months apart, but it definitely deserves the utmost respect and admiration. And, I won't even get started on my brother who has three, albeit spaced a little farther apart.

So, Lily is now 11 months old and on the countdown to the big numero uno. It's hard to put into words how surreal that is. It blows my mind that in less than 30 days, we will celebrate her first birthday. I want to freeze time, and at the same time, I'm anxious for the next stages of her development.

Lily had a big start with walking but has since lost all interest in it. Can't really say why, but we're not in any rush. She'll start up again when she's ready.

The latest new thing for Lily is her fake, very maniacal laugh. Scary really. Also, she currently enjoys mimicking our tone and inflections. Nnoooo is her favorite.

At school, she has become a trip. She likes to put her arm around her friends, pat their shoulders and then their heads until the pats become full-out blows. Naughty girl. I watched her in the crib room today chatting it up with her friend across from her. She was going to town on some story in her little mind while her friend smiled and watched her antics. Pretty amusing. Her class had their first official sensory experience today with green jello. Of course, Lily sat in front of the jello and shoveled it in like she was sitting down to a meal. For being so small, she can really pack it away.

Carl is doing well. He is surviving the surgical rotation. It's not so much the work as it is the hours. Carl is actually fascinated with wounds and the surgical process; he simply loathes the hours. I miss grad school too...those were the days. (A little shout out to the Pauza lab - we miss you guys!) But, we have to go through this phase to reach the ultimate goal.

So that's life in a nutshell with us right now. I will update with more pictures of Miss Lily later this week.

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Ahh, so Lily will eat green jello, just not green fruits and vegetables. Good to know!

Sorry to hear about the ear. I had an ear infection a few years back and remember it being pretty nasty. I don't think mine was as bad as yours though.

Hope you're feeling better soon!