Thursday, March 16, 2006

4 Months Old!

So we went for the 4-month check-up today, and the results are in.....13 pounds, 14 ounces and 25 inches long. That puts her in about the 50th percentile for weight and 75th percentile for height. She continues to be a "liddie gwirl" (translation: little girl), as my mom would say. She looks so much smaller than the other babies in her class, so it was comforting to find out that she is at least in the 50th percentile. She received 3 shots today. I love her doctor, but I'm not so fond of the nurse in his office. For the last shot she said, "Now this is the one that really hurts". Thanks, I really wanted to know that right before you jam the needle in her leg.

Overall, it was only a very mildly stressful morning. It is so nice that her doctor's office is upstairs from her school and my work. I was reflecting again today on how happy I am with our current situation that I can be at work and be with Lily. And, I really like my work.

I was on the Tiny Love website today. (For those outside the baby world, this is the website for a particular brand of toys. I really like their line because they have sound reasons for the toys they make and unlike most toys, I really think that they contribute to babies' development.) Anyhow, on the website, they were talking about timing when playing with your baby. They said that you might not want to make playtime directly after work when you come home tired and agitated. I thought about how sad it is that it is just assumed that people come home tired and agitated from work. I understand being tired from a long day, but agitated?... That got me thinking. Yes, at my former job, more often than not (okay, much more often than not) I came home tired and agitated (that's probably downplaying the level of emotion). How quickly I have forgotten that world. My current job is busy but not stressful. I truly don't think there is any other job that I would want for this period in my life. And, I think that this is, unfortunately, a very rare thing.

I guess I've been more contemplative than normal because of my approaching birthday. Birthdays, to me, present the perfect opportunity to stop and take stock of your life. As I turn 29 tomorrow and enter the last year of my 20s, I realize that I am probably happier now than I have ever been in my life. When we came to Baltimore, I knew that I wanted to have 3 things by the time we left: a house, a dog and a baby. Now that we've accomplished these things, I feel very content. I know that there is much more yet to come, and I hear that it only gets better and better, but for right now, I truly couldn't ask for more.

No comments: