Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Lily Bug

Before we had Lily, I'd heard that pretty much no matter what you name your baby (aside from Gertrude or the like), you'll start hearing it everywhere. I cannot even tell you how many Lily's we have heard of since having our own Lily. The first one we knew about is in her class...that's right, in a class of six, there is another Lily. The second Lily we met was at her one month doctor visit. Not only was this Lily going to the same Pediatric practice as ours, but she had an appointment scheduled on the same day 1/2 hour before Lily's appointment. Then, I was watching the Today show, and they had the world's fattest baby on (weighing in at an enormous 14 pounds at birth). And, what do you think her name was? You guessed it...Lily.

Lily and I just returned from the movies for the Reel Moms Program (which I love, by the way) where we sat behind 2 moms and their 3-month olds. The babies' names? Nathan (my friend Jen's baby's name) and Lily. I just can't believe the prevalence of this name. These were just chance occurrences, so how many Lily's are actually out there? I knew that it was not a completely unique name, but come on!

I read in one book that Lily is more prevalent on the coasts, so my only hope is that when we return to the midwest, we won't hear it quite as often. I just don't want her to grow up being Lily D. in school, like all the Jennifers of my generation.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

She'll always be Calla Lily to me.

I will say I haven't heard of any Lily's in Chicago, so that supports your midwest theory a little at least. Guess we won't know for sure how popular it is until the SSA updates their lists.

If you'd gone with something like Ingrid you wouldn't have had this problem.... (ranked #672 in 1979.) :-)

Anonymous said...

The same thing happened to Susan and I after we named the kids, especially Abigail. We never remember hearing the name Abigail until after she was here. Now we hear it all the time.

Rest assured there is probably only one Lillian Meyer Deetz.

Love, Jeff (Godfather to be)