Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Let the Preparations Begin...

We've begun to make some changes recently in order to prepare for my return to work and for Lily's school debut. We've bought some daycare-friendly cloth diapers, crib sheets, a little laundry bag, sleep sacks, extra pacifiers and other odds and ends necessary for her time at school.

We have also started the process of transitioning Lily from sleeping in the bassinet in our room to the crib in her room. She has graduated to a larger size swaddler, and we purchased a nature sounds machine (thanks to Roger for the advice) for some background noise (she seems to like the "wind" setting). Last night was the first time Lily slept in her crib, and she did beautifully. She only woke up at 2:00 am and 6:30 am for changings/feedings and went back to sleep each time, sleeping from 8:00 pm to 9:00 am - a very successful night.

I am also trying to gather recipes that are either very fast or very slow (using the slow-cooker). I'm going to prepare a menu for dinners for the next 2 weeks - sticking with the adage "failure to plan is a plan to fail".

If it wasn't already obvious, I am trying to keep busy while soaking in every moment with Lily. So we have a very ambitious agenda this week: the movies today, a sing-along at a bookstore/cafe tomorrow, and a story hour at the library on Thursday. Hopefully, these activities along with nightly pep-talks from Carl and encouragement from friends and family will help me to keep my sanity this week and in the weeks ahead. Thanks to everyone for putting up with me while I go through this transition and experience the joys of "hurried woman syndrome".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, sounds like you are preparing very well for your next adventure. I know this is the hard part, the first days of going back to work but you are so lucky to be able to have your little Lily close to you at work. The anticipation sometimes is harder. I hope you have fun this week and enjoy every moment, you will be fine next week. It's hard even when your babies are grown to let go.
I love you

Ingrid said...

What makes these diapers more day-care friendly? Just curious.

I can't imagine how hard it must be to be going back to work, but I'm sure it will be fine. I think Roger made the statement when Nadine was going back to work that it would be fine and if it wasn't - well then they'd re-evaluate and figure it out then. I think that's very good logic to keep in mind.

Hang in there! :-)

Kathleen said...

The bumGenius diapers are more daycare-friendly than any other cloth diaper because they are the most like disposables. They have the same stretchy velcro tab. However, the new diapers have not arrived yet so her teachers used the Fuzzi Bunz (with snaps) on Thursday, and of course, they did just fine. We will be rotating through the Fuzzi Bunz, bumGenius, and Happy Heinys. There are different categories of cloth diapers, and I am definitely a part of the pocket cloth diaper subculture.
Carl said exactly the same thing to me as Roger did to Nadine. I think that it is a good thing to keep in mind that no situation is permanent, and we will just have to see what works best for us.