Monday, November 14, 2005

Ready or Not, Here She Comes!

Today we had (hopefully) our final doctor's appointment with some mixed news. My blood pressure was very high (160/100 - my highest reading yet) but then went down with just a few minutes of laying down (118/80). The worst part of the exam was that my cervix has not changed at all!! I could not believe that NO dilation and NO effacement has taken place (the doctor's technical term for this - "a stubborn cervix"). We also received the results from the sonogram last week. At 40 weeks, 2 days the baby weighed 8 lbs. 13 oz. We are now at 41 weeks, 1 day which likely means that she is currently in the 9 lb. range.

The doctor was reluctant to induce this week because he did not want to increase the likelihood of a c-section any more than it already is (currently about a 50% chance). However, my mom, Carl, and I persuaded him to induce tomorrow based on the fact that my mom never went into labor without an induction with 4 children and my sister's first and only baby thus far was also an induction. Even though Suzanne's baby, Mary, was 9 lbs. 6 oz., she did not have to have a c-section so I have some hope of a natural delivery, small though it may be.

Although the scheduled induction takes some of the surprise away, it does work out nicely for planning purposes. This way, we can take Terra to her boarding/daycare facility in a more calm and relaxed manner before going to the hospital.

So, the plan is to check into the hospital tomorrow at 7:30 pm. We will likely welcome the baby into the world one way or another on Wednesday, the 16th. We will call everyone on Wednesday with any news!!!

4 comments:

Nadine said...

Woo hoo!!! I think November 16th sounds like a lovely birthday. Can't wait to hear the good news once it's all official!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!! I can't wait we all have waited soo long we were at grandmas yesterday talking about it!!! Lets hope that the newest Deetz is born on the 16th!!!
Love Always and Best of Luck!!!

Roger said...

Good luck! It's going to be great.

Ingrid said...

Keeping my fingers crossed for no c-section, powerful epidurals, and a healthy and speedy delivery!