Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Boring is Good!

There's not much new to report. We had another doctor's appointment yesterday, and we will be seeing him every other week now. Our appointments last about 5 minutes and basically consist of him saying "How's everything going?", we say "Fine", he measures my abdomen and listens to the baby's heartbeat, and we're done. I really am thankful that we have had such an uneventful pregnancy and even the unpleasant things (early pregnancy nausea, current indigestion, etc.) are completely normal and expected. The baby's heartbeat has been very consistent as well, ranging between 140 and 145 each time.
We also had another Childbirth Preparedness class last night. One of the women in our class actually had her baby over the weekend and brought him to the class. What a wake-up call! It is still hard to believe that there is a baby in there. As part of our graduation next week, we have to bring our labor bag to class. It is getting hard to deny that the big event is getting near, although I am managing to not obsess about it too much.
We have just started the Pet Prep with Terra in order to get her ready for Calabasa's arrival. During the first week, we are listening to pleasant baby sounds in the nursery, then we move on to the unpleasant baby sounds, and then introduce her to baby smells (only the pleasant ones!). We also have to wrap up a "baby" (in our case, a Care Bear) and hold her while introducing Terra to the sounds and smells. I don't know if any of this is really going to help with the main issue - Terra giving up her place as queen of the house to a newcomer - but we are doing what we can. Terra is also a prominent part of our birth plan because we have to take her to Doggie Daycare once I am in the beginning stages of labor. The hospital is only 10 minutes away from our house but the daycare is is 20-30 minutes away in the opposite direction - it should be interesting!
That's all for now - I guess at this stage of the game no real news to report is the best thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do think Terra may have a "few" jealous moments because I know being queen is good and hard to give up. Good luck

Anonymous said...

Are you sure it's Terra that is nervous about giving up her Queen status in the house. I think maybe "Terra" will be happy to step down once she sees how wonderful Pumpkin is. AFter all, she'll be the perfect size for Terra to carry her around in her mouth! Ha! I kid, I kid!

Ingrid said...

What I can't wait for is when you have a second child and you have to carry around a cabbage patch kid to get the first one ready for the other one. That'll be AWESOME!

As for Terra, I promise not to forget about my first neice when the new one comes along - I'll just spoil both of them!