Friday, July 08, 2005

Why Calabasa?

I suspect that many people have pet names or nicknames for their babies while in utero. From the beginning, Carl has called our developing baby Calabasa (Spanish for pumpkin). The name stuck, and we have been anxiously awaiting little Calabasa's arrival ever since.
We had our latest doctor's appointment yesterday, and everything seems to be going well with the baby. As almost everyone knows by now, we are expecting a little girl. Sunday will mark the beginning of our 23rd week, which according the pregnancy bible What to Expect When You're Expecting is the start of the sixth month of pregnancy. It truly has been going by so fast. Now that the all-day sickness (not morning sickness) has passed - not including a couple of vomiting incidents earlier this week - I am doing much better.
I have to say that I am enjoying being pregnant, especially now that I have quit my job and become a lady of leisure. I thought that there might be some transition period in which I would be adjusting to not working, but I've found that it suits me just fine. I have been very busy however, with a trip to see Carl's relatives in Indiana over the 4th and leaving to see my relatives in St. Louis tomorrow. A girl could get used to this. I know it will be short-lived though. I had my first interview for a Trainer position with Kiddie Academy on Wednesday, the day after my last day of work with Head Start. We'll see if it is meant to be.
We really want to thank all Carl's relatives in Indiana for the wonderful baby shower this past weekend. It was so nice to reconnect with family and to celebrate the major life change that is about to happen. Also, thanks to everyone for putting up with our very vocal pooch, Terra. She had one of the most enjoyable experiences of her doggie life, chasing the frogs and turtles around the pond. A special thanks to Ingrid, the coordinator extraordinaire, for everything including the digital camera which will be supplying the pictures for upcoming postings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen and Carl, we are very excited about the baby and we are glad to hear that you are feeling better.