Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Latest Developments


As Lily gets older, we get more glimpses into her personality. The latest thing we have discovered about her is that she is fuss-y when she wakes up. You have to spend a considerable amount of time with her after she wakes up just holding her and allowing her to wake up slowly, in her own time. Many people will appreciate the poetic justice of this latest development, especially my mom. I used to be, let's just say, not so pleasant upon waking. Fortunately, I've outgrown this, but I definitely had some memorable moments due to my own struggles with waking up (Janie, Sara and other high school friends will remember back to our trip to New Orleans). I guess that now begins paybacks as a parent and thorough enjoyment as a grandparent.

Lily has two other new amusing tricks: taking off her pants and understanding (if not responding to) the word "no". Lily's teachers have reported that when they put her in her crib to take a nap, she promptly removes her pants. Why? Who knows..spite, boredom, or any number of other reasons. Lily's current favorite forbidden fruit is Terra's food and water bowls. She, of course, makes a beeline toward them anytime we are in the kitchen. She reaches out for them but will pull back when I say "no". We then continue this game of her reaching out and me saying no until I physically remove her from the temptation. Little stinker.

Other words that we are fairly confident that she recognizes/understands are: her name, Terra, and kisses. Although these things are very subjective, Carl and I decided last night that the first official word that she has said (other than the dubious "da da" and "ma ma") is "duck". We think that she has tried to say "Terra" but this is way beyond her current linguistic abilities. One thing is clear: she now tries to mimic what we are saying. Even if she doesn't get close to making the sounds that she is aiming for, it is still a very cool development.

I was just commenting today on one of my tours of our daycare is how exciting it is to be the parent of a child in the Toddfant Room. This is where most of our children learn to be proficient crawlers, take their first steps, say their first words, give their first wave, and so on, and so on. It really is an exciting time to be a parent.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I remember well, but I will also say that it is always an exciting time to be a parent. Even when the times have passed of learning to walk and talk, it is exciting when your child becomes a parent and see how they now understand how happy and proud I have been all these years. Love you always

Anonymous said...

Oh Weenie! I completely remember the days of trying to wake you up. As soon as I read the first sentence I started laughing! I think I may even have a bruise from having things thrown at me. I can remember the mean glares as if it happened yesterday.

I am glad to see that little Lily is paying you back! She is growing up so fast and she is adorable!

Janie

Ingrid said...

I miss you guys!